Meet the ETE Camp Staff



Hello! My name is Gabriella Gilbert and I am Shaina’s younger sister. Currently I attend Boston Latin School as a sophomore, and will be graduating with the class of 2012. Though I was unable to be a part of the camp during its debut summer, I was present during its planning stages and knew it would be an incredible endeavor. I was amazed by the impact it had on both the citizens of Hinche and the counselors that ran the camp. The success of the first installment gave me motivation to remain committed to ETE’s vision and join the staff for summer 2010. It only makes sense to give back to my parent’s homeland, a country that has gone through so much but has the potential for excellence. I am eager for the opportunity to go back to Haiti, as I have not been since the summer of 2003, and am excited for the experiences that wait. I am extremely proud of Shaina and look forward to teaching the Leadership class to enrich the minds of future leaders of Haiti that may someday follow in the footsteps of my sister.
Hi, My name is Cynthia Massillon and I am currently a sophomore at Brandeis University. I was born and raised in Miami, Florida to a Haitian mother. I am majoring in Politics and minoring in Legal Studies and Education. Education and the law are my passions. I aspire to change education in America in regards to law reform and community apathy. I firmly believe that every child, no matter where they are in this world, has an inherent right to an education. I am looking forward to going to Haiti and teaching the future leaders of this country. Because of the devastating events that have affected Haiti recently, my desire to help this country has immensely grown. I know that this summer will be one of the most challenging, inspiring, heartfelt, exigent and memorable experience of my life. “Mwen pare pou li ale”—I’m ready to go!
“I think education is power. I think that being able to communicate with people is power. One of my main goals on the planet is to encourage people to empower themselves.” -Oprah Winfrey
Shaina Gilbert is a first generation Haitian-American from Mattapan in Boston, MA. Mattapan hosts the largest Haitian population in Massachusetts. A senior at Brandeis University, she recruited and trained 4 Brandeis students to become volunteer teachers and counselors at ETE Camp which is located in her mother’s hometown in Haiti. Post-ETE Camp, during the fall of 2009, all 5 Brandeis students shared the spirit and success of the Camp with the rest of the Brandeis community via presentations and awareness building efforts on the status of Haiti. Post the Haiti earthquake, Shaina is more passionate and determined than ever to return to Haiti and further develop the camp for July 2010; so that it may have a newfound hopeful impact in the lives of the Haitian people.
"Since I do not believe that there should be different recommendations for people living in the Bronx and people living in Manhattan, I am uncomfortable making different recommendations for my patients in Boston and in Haiti."
Dr. Paul Farmer




Sak Ap Fet
My name is J.V. Souffrant; I am a current Sophomore at Brandeis University in Waltham Ma. Politics and Legal Studies are the two fields that I am interested in, and looking to pursuit after my time at Brandies. I was raised in Orlando Florida to parents who are of Haitian decent, my father who is from Port-Au-Prince and my mother who is from Gonaives. Being that I am Haitian American I feel that it is important for me to understand my heritage and go back and venture to my roots. By being involved with the ETE Summer Camp it will also give me the chance to work with children who may not have had the same opportunities I had growing up here in America. By going on this trip I would like to learn more about Haiti, I would like to learn how the government works, and how we can try to come up with a solution to fixing the country. The most important part of this trip is that both the staff and the children educate each other.
“Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself.”



My name is Jillian Kasha Rexford,and I am an alumni scholar of the Transitional Year Program, entering my second year at Brandeis university. I was raised in Saint Petersburg, Florida by my mother and grandmother. My educational goals are vast and include, health and social policy, creative writing/arts and youth development. I am a passionate person and try to incorporate that into all that i do. Believing that life should be lived with passion and determination, I found Shaina Gilbert to be pursuing this endeavor with just that enthusiasm and knew I had to be a part of it. I myself have felt invisible in my own community, so it is incredible to image how it must feel to be invisible to the world. I strongly believe that by letting youth know that they to have value and are worthy can change the future of a young person and in return a nations spirits.I hope to come out of this trip making new friends and experiences but most importantly I hope to grow along side the campers.

So please Donate , Empower someone while empowering yourself , give from you heart!! ETE Camp Counselor 2009


"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song" - Maya Angelou